5. The Buildings of The National Lighthouse Museum
The National Lighthouse Museum opened in 2015 and sits on the complex that was once a part of the U.S. Light-House Establishment. Even before then, however, the site was home to the former Marine Hospital, known as The Quarantine, where 1,500 of the city’s diseased were housed.
When the U.S. Light-House Establishment took over the space, it constructed new buildings to serve the U.S. Lighthouse Service’s Third District until the Lighthouse Service was folded into the United States Coast Guard in 1939. After the Coast Guard relocated to Governors Island in the 1960’s, the location was closed and was partially demolished and turned into the Staten Island ferry maintenance facility.
Many buildings including the lamp shop, barracks, and the administration building are still standing, but remain abandoned despite the recent renovation and opening of the museum.