9. Staten Island Castle (Demolished)
The Samuel R. Smith Infirmary, also known as the Staten Island Castle, was a red brick chateau that stood in Thompkinsville, Staten Island for 124 years.
Constructed in 1863, the infirmary was Staten Island’s first private hospital. It was founded by the borough’s upper class, initially as an establishment for Staten Island’s poor. In 1916, however, it opened to the general public and was renamed Staten Island Hospital.
In 1979, following an increase in patient population, the hospital relocated to a new building. Its former campus consequently sat abandoned and was officially demolished in March 2012.