5. Fort Putnam
In 1776, Fort Putnam was constructed, under the supervision of Major General Nathanael Greene atop what is now the high ground of Fort Greene Park. The fort was likely named for Colonel Rufus Putnum, who was the chief engineer responsible for fortifying Long Island. Fort Putnam was connected to Fort Box, Fort Greene, the Oblong Redoubt, and a series of intrenchments in order to protect Brooklyn Heights from the British. These forts were unsuccessful in their mission and were taken over by the British after the Battle of Long Island (Battle of Brooklyn). Fort Putnam was rebuilt for the War of 1812 and rechristened Fort Greene. In 1845, the land was converted into Washington Park, which was ultimately renamed Fort Greene Park. Today, it possesses the largest Revolutionary War memorial in the country.