“Waterside.” Electrical New York (1916)
One of many Bailey drawings commissioned by the New York Edison Company, here he showed the company’s massive Waterside power plant on First Avenue between East 38th and East 40th streets. Originally a coal-powered steam facility, its name was a reference to its location along the East River which allowed for delivery of coal by ship.
Waterside, which consisted of two buildings, was built in the early 1900s and demolished starting about 2005. A major real estate development has been in the works for the site for the last decade.