THE PLACE: This experience will start with a 2 hour tour of one of the world’s largest public art galleries: the New York City subway system. Led by underground art experts Justin Rivers and Aaron Asis, you will discover works of art from Roy Lichtenstein, Keith Godard, Tom Otterness and Mary Miss just to name a few. While taking this tour you will start working on your photography skills using Justin and Aaron as your models until “The Face” enters the picture…
THE FACE: For this unique experience you will have the privilege to photograph Mary Miss, the artist behind the 14th St. Union Square station art installation. Mary is a world-renowned American sculptor, considered to be a pioneer of site specific art, and her work has been shown in the Museum of Modern Art, MoMA P.S. 1, Whitney Museum of American Art, Brooklyn Museum, and the Tate Gallery in London just to name a few.
- Price: $390
- 1 PM: Students meet Stephanie de Rouge for a 30 minute class on portrait photography where they will learn her signature three secrets of making a great portrait in less than 5 minutes, as well as specific techniques for the two types of portraits they will take: “Live Portraits” and “Posed Portraits”.
- 1:30 PM: The underground art tour starts inside the subway station. Students start the “Portraits on the Move” portion of the class by photographing Aaron and Justin using the portrait techniques taught by Stephanie, while discovering and learning about the art inside the NYC subway.
- 2:15 PM: The class meets Mary Miss inside the Union Square subway station where she will talk about her art installation. Students start photographing Mary in a group setting,
- 2:45 PM: Under Stephanie’s lead, each student will get individual time with Mary to photograph her one-on-one for the “Posed Portrait” portion of the workshop.
- 3:45 PM: Students debrief with Stephanie in a group setting
- 4 PM: End of the photo workshop
- What to know: Wear comfortable shoes, bring your own camera
Optional Critique Session
For those of you who want to extend the experience, a critique and editing session of the photos you took during this workshop is available upon registration on Friday January 25th from 9am to 12pm. Stephanie de Rouge will review your images, give you a constructive critique, and share tips tailored to your work. If time allows Stephanie will introduce you to the art of storytelling.
6 spots available, $60 per participant. (Option available at checkout)
MORE ABOUT THE TOUR:
Inspired by a common passion for New York City and its people, photographer Stephanie de Rouge and Untapped Cities have teamed up to create “One Place One Face”, a photo workshop experience created to celebrate New York City’s diversity, and the often anonymous New Yorkers behind the city’s iconic locations. What would the Statue of Liberty be without its “Keeper of the Flame”? Or the New York City subway without its famous voice announcing the upcoming trains? On this unique and limited photo portrait series, we are offering you a walking tour of an iconic New York City location (The Place), and a photo portrait class focusing on the New Yorker behind it (The Face).
ABOUT STEPHANIE de ROUGE:
Stephanie is a French photographer and art project manager based in New York. She works as a photography teacher at The International Center of Photography, offers unique photography workshops in NY, creates and manages activist projects worldwide and contributes to major magazines in Europe and the US as portrait and travel photographer. Her work was exhibited in Paris and New York and she received several awards both in France and Canada. Stephanie’s work has been featured in The New York Times Newspaper, The Guardian, Le Monde Magazine, Images Magazine, ELLE, Le Journal de La Photographie, View Magazine, Io Donna, Zoom magazine, Esquire, photographie.com and numerous websites all over the world. Some of her images are syndicated by Redux Agency in New York, and Interlinks Images in Paris. Charron gallery in Paris represents some of her artistic projects.
Her clients include: The New York Times Newspaper, Havas, Edible Manhattan, Nestlé, The William Vale, Libération, Sephora, Le Point, Quinn NY, OBA, The Good Life, Storey Publishing, Popular Mechanics among others.
PORTRAITS BY STEPHANIE:
The Keeper of the Flame
The Voice of the Subway